Tuesday 17 August 2010

A&E adventures Honiara

I forgot to mention my last friday in Honiara was spent in the A&E dept. Surgery is quiet on Fridays, so wondered over to the ED. It was SUCH a good day, I learnt loads and wished i'd spent more time there! Started off clerking patients which is always fun when you are left to do it on you own in a foreign language! The gesturing really came into it's own! I was very much left to devise my own care and treatment plans for the patietnts i'd seen...which was a little scary but I enjoyed the responsibility...at the time I didn't realise what Gizo would involve...thats another story for my next post.

A&E in Honiara is actually quite a new building with air con (thank god!) and is kept relatively clean with alcohol hand gel in at least 2 of the dr consultation rooms. GASP! I spent some time writing discharge summaries, prescriptions ready for the doc to sign, and then more clerking and pt examinations in the afternoon. It was interesting to learn a bit about requesting ultrasound scans, xrays, bloods etc. There are only very few tests that can be done and if you dont request it before about 3pm then it basically doesnt get done until the next day because staff go home!! It also wont get done between teh hours of 12-1 becasue staff go on lunch. Very frustrating at times when patients begin to back up A LOT! Similar frustration at thelack of drugs...again - 10 times as bad in Gizo. I did an 8-4 day for the first time since being here probably! Definitely going to do more when I go back for the last few days in Honiara.

No comments:

Post a Comment