Sunday 1 August 2010

a very exciting day : )

So Friday (31st Jul) was an interesting one on labour ward! I delivered a third baby - completely by myself. I can assure you that this was not intentional! the senior midwife happened to leave me at a vital moment just as the little bubba was popping his head out. I was left with a student midwife who apparently knew less than me about delivering babies! Luckily, I had already done a couple of assissted deliveries and seen lots so roughly knew what I was doing - turns out there isn't a lot to it really! Baby and mum were both fine and neither too traumatised...I'm not sure the same could be said for me! Haha! Delivering babies was much less...magical than I had imagined! I got to fill in lots of birth certificates and sign them too which was cool, and defo not something we'd get to do at home.
Friday was my last day on labour ward and I'm very sad to leave them since despite all the hanging around doing quite mundane obs and examinations, waiting for babies to be born, I have learnt LOADS. I've probably learnt more in one week on the Sol Islands labour ward than I did on 4 weeks of obs and gynae placement during third year!

Friday night me and the other residents of kiwi house went out for dinner at the nearby hotel, had a few drinks at the bar and then went on to 'Club X-treme' !! It was interesting to say the least! Its a night club run out of a very posh hotel in Honiara (the capital). We met up with our beach friends for a few drinks in their VERY posh hotel appartment and then headed down there with them. There was a little incident with the bouncers since they didnt want to let one of our guys in who was wearing flip flops - apparently they arent allowed in the club - but unlike at home - instead of kicking up a fuss - the bouncer just swapped shoes with the guy! It was probably a had to be there monent but at the time it was hilarious! Our friend had to walk around with huge clumpy bouncer shoes on with shorts - not a very fashionable look!
We had such a good night - it was so nice to hear loud music that wasnt just blaring past our window out of buses really late at night. I had an interesting time trying to explain to a local that I wasn't for sale...he was trying to buy me off the guys, which he was amazed to find out didnt 'own' me! cheek! Women's rights here arent big. Got in at 4am and managed to wake up the whole of kiwi house...oops!

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment